The seminar was held in the aula of a Buddhist temple in South Jakarta, Indonesia, and was brought by DR. Ponijan Liaw, the No.1 Communicator in Indonesia and also a book author
More about DR. Ponijan Liaw:
- Reaches Bachelor degree in Medan, Indonesia; Master degree in Melbourne, Australia; and Doctorate degree in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Managing Director in a self-improvement company
- Author of ten books on communication, self-improvement, and Buddhism
- Used to teach Indonesian language as a lecturer in a university in Australia
- Have been hired to give training in countless companies, including, but not limited to: NISP, Sinarmas, Indofood, Telkomsel, and many more. (They are Indonesian companies)
The seminar began on 12 PM and lasted for four hours until 4 PM. I arrived about ten minutes late because some business at home though, but fortunately they haven’t begun. (Although it began shortly after I came :P)
The seminar began with greetings from the committee and sponsor — the Tridharma magazine — and then some introduction about the doctor, given by the Moderator Yasa Paramita Singgih.
After the brief introduction, DR. Ponijan Liaw finally showed himself and began the seminar. According to him, he wanted to share a loooot of knowledge for all of us, but due to time restraints, he couldn’t share all of them.
First, he opened with a statistic based on a survey done by a research team in Singapore. The research wanted to find out the dominant factors which determine a person’s success. And as we guessed it, the one on the top of the list is Communication. If your customer is pleased with you, they will come again. And if not, they might spread the word and ruin your business!
A few ways to get your customer satisfied:
- Always keep your promises. Don’t make a promise you can’t fulfill.
- Be on time. No one likes to wait. And if you think something like “Why should I come on time? They will come late anyways!”, then the answer is, “What do you want to be? A good man or a so-so man?”
- Be responsive. If your friend or customer sends you a message, a thank-you letter, or anything, be sure not to ignore them! Sometimes what people need is not something big. It’s just a small action that lets them know that you respect them.
- And to summarize the above three points… Have Integrity!
The next topic is about speaking. “Speaking Intellectually and Emotionally needs Psychologically to Complete,” he said.
- What you’re trying to tell is clear and systematic. If you want to say a sequence, do it A – B – C – D, don’t shuffle the sequence and confuse other people.
- The choice of words. An intellectual person does NOT mean they only use technical or uncommon words. An intellectual person chooses his word accordingly, according to whom he/she is speaking. If you talk things like Cloud Computing, Relativity Theory, Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle to a farmer, expect them to think you’re a geek.
- Your expression, tone, and what you’re trying to say must match. You cannot tell a sad and tragic story while laughing as if someone just slipped off a banana peel.
- Pay attention to the emotion of your talking partner. If you think it’s not the right time to tell something, postpone it.
- Pay attention to the psychological state of your partner. For example, if he/she is heartbroken or despaired and needs someone they can tell their worries, be one. Don’t cut their sentences. Listen to them sincerely and heartfully. Keep silent unless they ask their opinions, and the most important thing, don’t lecture them. Someone in that state wouldn’t want to get lectured, and if you still lecture them, none of it will be regarded. Wait until they have calmed down, then give a good advice.
After that point, we had a break for half an hour. We’re given some bread, water, and some snacks.
After our stomachs have been refilled, we proceed to an interesting topic. People’s personalities based on Blood Type.
The topic was first brought by a Japanese researcher, Dr. Takeji Furukawa, and published through a book. Since then, almost all Japanese companies have the blood type column for the sign-up forms for their workers-to-be.
Take note that these results are not 100% accurate, though. People were born differently, and people can grow differently based on their environment. This is yet another wonder from our amazing Creator, for He created every single human unique.
- Calm in any situation, even when others have panicked
- Tend to avoid confrontation and doesn’t feel really comfortable being among many people
- Values harmony and is very polite
- Is very responsible
- Perfectionist and likes to score achievements
- Creative and artistic
- Resolute and consistent
- For these characteristics, people with Blood type A is recommended for these jobs: Branch heads, General Manager, other kind of heads.
- Likes details, systematic, and order
- Specialist in his/her field
- Always focus on their jobs
- Tend to appear cold
- Likes to work by him/herself (solo)
- The most rational compared to other blood types.
- For these characteristics, people with Blood type B is recommended for these jobs: Finance, IT, Programmer, Scientist, and other jobs that needs accuracy and can be done solo.
- Passionate and socialist
- The most flexible compared to the other types
- Often, speaks first before thinking
- Quick to begin a project, but tend to meet obstacles halfway
- Sometimes corny and unrealiable
- For these characteristics, people with Blood type O is recommended for these jobs: Marketing, Sales, Public Relation, and other jobs which needs passion and quick-thinking
- Harder to categorize, because they can have characteristics of either or both of A and B.
- Flexible, and tend to ‘switch’ sides between A and B
- Tend to be wishy-washy or capricious
- Likes Art and Metaphysics
- Not fashionable
- Sensitive and is a good listener
- For these characteristics, people with Blood type AB is recommended for these jobs: Human Resource Development (HRD), Religion leaders, Psychologist, Consultant, Doctor, and other jobs which interacts deep with other people.
And lastly, after all of the knowledge taught about personalities based on Blood type, we were asked to guess what is the Blood-type of DR. Ponijan Liaw himself.
Then, the last session is Questions and Answers. Many of the audience ask about how they should interact with their friends, lovers, relatives, etc., and I think it would be unrelated if posted here.
And last but not least, I received a book written by DR. Ponijan Liaw, and signed by himself!
So, I guess that’s it for today. Thanks for reading and I hope this post will be beneficial for all of us! 😀
Better communication = Better Life!